[opendtv] Re: Interlace Artifacts

  • From: "David Workman (WINDOWS MEDIA)" <dworkman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:35:46 -0800

The decoders in the Media Player are backwards compatible with all
downlevel bitstreams.  The 4:1:1 decoder is not part of VC1, but as far
as I know this format has never been deployed outside of the PC
environment.

>>I've also been told that the interlace tools in VC-1 are a=20
>>complete afterthought.

No, the main motivation for developing VC-1 was to properly support
interlace.  The progressive encoding has some incremental improvements
over Main Profile, but all the big changes are in the interlace
encoding.

David Workman
QA Manager
Core Media Processing Technology