[opendtv] Re: How Do I Keep My Favorite Shows?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:05:14 -0400

At 7:19 PM -0400 8/21/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:
The only question is, would the congloms want to continue to do busyness with these OTA broadcasters? I can't see why they wouldn't. They already have between 85 and 90 percent (supposedly) of households paying them their dual revenue streams. So the only question to ask is, do the congloms want to lose these extra eyeballs? Do they really think they can coerce them to a MVPD?

The number of eyeballs for the independent stations is in the noise level, both in terms of ratings and ad revenues generated.

The only eyeballs they would lose are those who do not subscribe to the MVPDs. But they would be able to capture the lions share of the $20 billion per year that goes to the local affiliates. You do the math...