[opendtv] Re: How Do I Keep My Favorite Shows?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 07:54:57 -0400

At 6:21 PM -0400 8/21/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:

I guess I don't understand what "localism" radio has be thriving on? You mean, the occasional traffic and weather? Yes, but that's mostly inserted into a non-local program, isn't it?

That depends on the format and the station ownership. We are fortunate here in Gainesville that we are not subjected to the kind of consolidation that has occurred with Clear CHannel and others. Several stations are owned by nation station groups but all are programmed locally with local talent that knows and works the communities.

So yes there is news and weather, but there is also local context to most everything that is going on. But the real localism I was talking about is the popularity of talk radio. These stations do rely on nationally syndicated programming, but even here the shows connect directly with the people who are listening. We have two talkers in Gainesville, both of which have local shows during prime listening periods. The station that has Rush has both morning and afternoon drive time shows that are among the highest rated in the market. These shows rely on two things:
1. local perspective on national issues
2. discussion of local issues

We have our primary election tomorrow, and these shows have provided an excellent forum for local candidates to get their views out.

The other station I listen to is a classic rocker. They have three stations that cover a large portion of North FLorida with a single simulcast. Again local talent and information that is relevant to the communities they serve.

One thing one often hears is that radio has been thriving on so-called "talk radio" shows, but they are hardly local.

As I indicated above, the better talk stations have a strong local component. And many of the syndicated talk shows also go local with special events. Neil Bortz is typically in Gainesville about once a year for golf tournaments or a book signing.

In the DC market, we do have one radio station that I would classify as being local, with news, weather, and traffic. Most of the content is indeed local. But that's only one station in the market.

Most large markets have a 24/7 news station with local talent. Some TV stations attempt to cash in on this with traffic reports during their breakfast TV shows, trying to get to commuters before they get into their cars.

P.S. We live in a college town with a very successful sporting program. Turn on a radio on a Saturday afternoon in the fall and you will hear radio broadcasts for just about every major and podunk college in the country. Two of the three radio stations run by the University of Florida carry broadcasts of virtually all of their major sports - Football, men' and women's basketball, men's baseball and women's softball. women's volleyball...