[opendtv] Re: How Do I Keep My Favorite Shows?

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:19:53 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It's hard to know how much [MVPDs] would suffer [if broadcasters
> pulled their signals].

Not that hard to figure, when you consider that whenever this happens, it makes
the news. The percentage of subscribers watching the main network TV channels
is still huge, especially considering that these are a handful of channels in
systems that carry well over 100 channels.

> The real threat is when the congloms decide to go direct with the
> MVPDs.

I'm not so sure, if it's already true that the non-O&Os are having to "pay" the
congloms for the content already now, in the form of giving up some of their ad
slots.

The only question is, would the congloms want to continue to do busyness with
these OTA broadcasters? I can't see why they wouldn't. They already have
between 85 and 90 percent (supposedly) of households paying them their dual
revenue streams. So the only question to ask is, do the congloms want to lose
these extra eyeballs? Do they really think they can coerce them to a MVPD?