[opendtv] Re: HDTV price

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:01:38 -0400

Doug McDonald wrote:

> The wonders of capitalsim!! The 27 inch is 4:3 and the 26
> inch is 16:9. The prices are the same, $664, if ordered
> from a store .... the 4:3 is $600 if ordered on the web.
>
> I have seen a Samsung 27" widescreen HDTV monitor (no
> ATSC tuner) and it looked absolutely wonderful ... but it
> was probably somewhere between EDTV and true HDTV
> resolution.

And what was the price of the monitor alone? That would be
the interesting comparison.

My prediction has been for some time that the digital coax
interface, ATSC or ATSC combined with digital cable and
DBS, will drop in price to where no one cares, and will
become a one-cable interface as standard as NTSC is
today. Only much better. Just like the analog NTSC, if
every set has one of these digital interfaces, and they end
up costing very little, why shouldn't peripheral devices
just use them? It seems so drop dead obvious.