[opendtv] Re: HDTV price

  • From: Philip Hodgetts <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:32:41 -0700

At 12:51 PM -0500 8/12/04, Doug McDonald wrote:
>Kon Wilms wrote:
>
>>  Looking in these stores,
>
>HAve you catually looked in the stores? Around here there are
>plenty of affordable EDTV and HDTV sets of all kinds, direct CRT,
>CRT projection, and LCD/DLP projection, and the CRT ones are very
>reasonable price indeed ... much lower than two years ago.
>
>They are there on the floor, for sale, and are selling.

Been checking them out and the display quality is=20
so indifferent that it's hard to see which are HD=20
and which are standard definition.  This may be=20
the quality of the displays in the stores in LA=20
(no indication of whether the source is HD or SD=20
either).

Having been into the stores, the only sets that=20
appear to display significantly better pictures=20
are *way* too big for our apartment.  Moving=20
would be a hidden cost of upgrading to HD :)

When we're ready to go HD it will be front=20
projection from a DLT (or the state of the art=20
then). But there's no rush. Nothing currently=20
broadcast in HD or available that way (that we=20
watch) is worth spending money on upgrading.

--

Philip Hodgetts         philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
President and CEO    818 206 2415

Take the Tour