[opendtv] Re: HDTV price

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:34:36 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It looks like the EDTV Monitor is selling for $429 (Web only special)
> versus $599 for the version with the ATSC tuner (also a web only
> special). That makes the premium about $170.
>
> I'm not sure what can be inferred from this,

What I infer is simple. The price of ED or HDTVs is dropping fast,
which implies that HDTV transmissions will be the norm, and the
price to consumers of built-in ATSC receivers is dropping fast
as well. This is exactly what was supposed to happen.

In short order, you'll start seeing monitors costing more than
integrated sets, because they will be the premium gear for the
true videophiles.