[opendtv] Re: HDTV price

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:45:36 -0700

Doug McDonald wrote:
> Kon Wilms wrote:
>

>>Looking in these stores,
>

> HAve you catually looked in the stores? Around here there are
> plenty of affordable EDTV and HDTV sets of all kinds, direct CRT,
> CRT projection, and LCD/DLP projection, and the CRT ones are very
> reasonable price indeed ... much lower than two years ago.
>
> They are there on the floor, for sale, and are selling.
>
> Doug McDonald

No I live in a closed wooden box.

But seriously, ofcourse I have. You will notice that 'salespeople' in
these stores gather around the expensive items, and the expensive items
are the ones on 'display'. Overpriced miniscule LCDs get primo space.
Cheap stuff, that's relegated to a corner (and maybe they don't have it
in stock -- but you can get a really good deal on the demo model).

Thats been my experience while looking for a small widescreen 24" CRT
for the bedroom. I'm probably just going to buy it online. And no amount
of 'but sir, take a look at these flatscreens, they are the way of the
future, just give us your wallet' comments will change my mind.

'Much lower than two years ago' does not equate to 'cheaper than sets
from two years ago'. Moore's law is *not* in effect here.

Cheers
Kon