[opendtv] Re: HDMI on HP Laptop

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:50:15 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I have several HP laptops with Win XP and Win 7 (64-bit) and
> an HDMI output.  We mostly use the VGA outputs because the
> HDMI doesn't work with a DVI connection to our scan converters
> and many displays; the output is disabled.  I have gotten it
> to work with some LCD monitors using the HDMI input and also
> with DVI.  But if you play a DVD, the port goes dead.
> Obviously the HDMI port is using HDCP and that always causes
> me a headache.

Strange the HDMI port would go dead when playing DVDs. That's the problem with
these digital ports, though. The manufacturers have a way of screwing them up.

I found a good option, though. This Dell Inspiron 580.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-580/fs

The only problem with them is, no BluRay capability. But they are meant to be
sold without monitors, as media centers, and the graphics cards include a 1366
X 768 setting. So I would find it really hard to believe that the HDMI would
block DVDs!

And they are apparently very quiet.