[opendtv] Re: Growing uncomfortable with Samsung

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:11:38 -0500

Doug McDonald wrote:

> So what. The PC I am writing this on has not
> crashed since I installed Windows 2000 on it ..
> except for twice, when a floppy disk drive
> created a (oscilloscope verified) permanently
> stuck "all lines low". When the floppy drive
> was removed, all was well. Nothing is immune to
> a total hardware failure, except perhaps a
> triple-redundant system. And this is with
> absolutely no obsessive behaviour at all. It
> ran happily for five months without rebooting.

Thanks for sharing, Doug.

What exactly is your point? That PCs never crash?

On a previous PC I had, I upgraded the BIOS to
the latest version. No problem.

On a more recent one, I upgraded the BIOS (which
was a required step before installing Win2000),
and while all seemed to go well, it was
completely and hopelessly dead on the first
reboot. Had to have a new motherboard.

Is this the sort of experience we think
acceptable, desirable, appropriate for CE
appliances?

I already "shared" my boss' experience with
WinXP SP2. Failed hard. Which meant having to
boot off his CD drive (resetting the BIOS
settings to allow this), then reinstalling SP1
from the beginning.

Fun and games. I can't wait to play these games
with my TV, my toaster, and my refrigerator.