[opendtv] Re: Growing uncomfortable with Samsung

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:04:26 -0600

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>I would NOT accept this kind of performance for
>>ANY product. That is one of the major reasons that
>>I will not buy a PC. My Mac has not crashed, in
>>the month that I have owned the Samsung TV.
>

> Unfortunately, personal anecdotes are only that.
> They don't describe the real world, only one
> person's limited experience.
>
> For what it's worth, which is not much, my PCs
> don't crash either. But that's only because I'm
> obsessive about what I install and how I install
> it, about cleaning up my registry, about
> defragging my hard drives.

So what. The PC I am writing this on has not crashed
since I installed Windows 2000 on it .. except for
twice, when a floppy disk drive created a (oscilloscope verified)
permanently stuck "all lines low". When the floppy drive was
removed, all was well. Nothing is immune to a total hardware
failure, except perhaps a triple-redundant system. And this is
with absolutely no obsessive behaviour at all. It ran happily
for five months without rebooting.

Doug McDonald