[opendtv] Re: Google pulls plug on YouTube for older iPads, iPhones, smart TVs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 00:04:47 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

First of all, PCs are different because they can use any number
of web browsers, for watching TV or doing anything else. The
lesser devices are far more limited.

Really?

I can run several web browsers on my iOS devices.

Really Craig? How many browsers can you run on AppleTV boxes? I don't have a
choice of browsers for our Roku, either.

And just about every OTT portal has apps to access their
content.

Really, Craig? Are you trying to compare the portals available globally to PCs,
vs you limited devices? Can you go to cbs.com, Craig? Can you go to wwitv.com,
Craig? "Just about every portal" means the vast majority, Craig. Your devices
depend on the good graces of those portals, or of the TV source itself, in
graciously providing your "app."

Microsoft does not need to get in bed with a TV portal, or
with a conglom, in order to have PCs able to consume those
media streams.

Wrong. They were THE FIRST to get in bed with the content
owners.

Even that's false. The whole DRM thing was built up after the media streams
became available, and the older PCs did not stop working because of the new DRM
solutions. If older PCs quit working, it was because they couldn't handle the
streaming media computationally, not because of DRM.

Apple TV is more limited, but with AirPlay I can access
stuff on my iPad then mirror to the TV.

Really Craig? And yet, in spite of Craig's claims, even two Apple boxes are not
adequate to send cb.com to his TV set. If he doesn't use his Mac, nothing works.

Craig thinks that the Internet only provides half a dozen TV portals. How
absurd.