[opendtv] Re: NAB: FCC's Wheeler Piles on Praise for Broadcasting | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 00:40:17 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

CBS All Access provide access to ONE channel of video programming.
There is nothing MULTICHANNEL about this service.

CBS All Access provides live streams of a major TV network, which Sling does
not. And any number of OTT sites provide streams from multiple sources, way
more numerous than Sling TV provides. I'd say, Sling TV is as much a different
sort of service, compared with traditional MVPDs, as CBS All Access is, or
Netflix, or Amazon. Give it up, Craig.

Focusing in on this, if the MVPD allocates more frequencies to
broadband, in their existing last mile infrastructure, they
can offer more and faster broadband service **without** having
to reduce the number of homes served by a single PON head-end.

Really?

That depends on bandwidth to the PON as well. Obviously, if
they turn off linear channels they can dedicate that bandwidth
to broadband. But they must be able to support all of the
unicast streams to that PON.

We, or rather you, were talking about building out the last mile infrastructure
for better broadband service. Without a doubt, if more bandwidth is dedicated
to DOCSIS, while hundreds of broadcast channels are deleted, a single PON will
be able to offer broadband to many more households. Or, more realistically,
faster broadband to the same number of households. Without having to make house
calls and without having to dig up neighborhoods. Yes, the head ends will also
have to be upgraded with faster routers, and the core networks have to continue
to improve, but I've mentioned these other factors about a zillion times
already, Craig. So surely, you don't think you're telling me something I didn't
already know? You were talking about the "last mile."

Those MPEG-2 TS streams pay the bills. It could be many
years before people give up on the MVPD bundles.

There's a reason why OTA TV usage went from less that 10 percent, according to
your oft-repeated guesstimates a few years ago, to almost 20 percent today,
Craig. The reason is, there are many of those MPEG-TS broadcast streams in the
MVPD nets that are not being used effectively. Or, to belabor again, it is
obvious that the value proposition for broadcast is changing, EVEN in MVPD nets.

The broadcasters do not need to piggyback on the telco cellular
networks. They need to piggyback on the tower infrastructure,
with their own transmitters using their own frequencies.

How many transmitters, Craig? Assume 40 mile radius, and 3 b/s/Hz.

That is absurd. The telcos no longer control what the handsets
can do.

Because Craig said so. Meanwhile, I very much had to worry about which service
provider we use, when we got our new smartphones last December.

Big sticks are not free. And in some low density population
areas they may still be the best way to reach viewers, even
with LTE broadcast.

Without armwaving, do the numbers please.

The cellular networks keep up with these changes.

And the smaller the footprint of each cell, the more impacted the configuration
is, by changes in the landscape. This too is obvious, and yet here I am having
to belabor it.

This is why there will be a spectrum auction next year to
recover broadcast spectrum.

And the same sort of reapportionment will no doubt also occur in the MVPD PONs
and HFC nets.