[opendtv] Re: Google pulls plug on YouTube for older iPads, iPhones, smart TVs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 00:05:14 +0000

John Shutt wrote:

For cord cutters, this may get expensive if you have to replace your
TV because one of your YouTube, Netflix, or Hulu apps no longer work.

That was my reaction too, when I saw that article, although usually it would
not be the TV but an STB of some sort.

Using a PC will keep you going as long as possible. But even there, a new codec
will eventually come around that the aging PC can't handle. Happened to me with
H.264, which my PC back then could not keep up with. It would skip frames all
the time.

Relying on these "apps" is just begging some self-interested party to have
greater control over your equipment, though. I never understood the fascination.