[opendtv] Re: Forget Slingbox - A Broadcaster's Nightmare - ViiDoo

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:57:34 -0700

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 18:48 -0400, Don Moore wrote:
> If you think Slingbox has the content providers running scared, they
> haven't begun to realize the threat a new technology presents.

These single point of failure TV aggregator attempts have been tried
before (remember the one run out of canada about 5 years ago?). Send the
host a takedown notice, problem solved. Slingbox themselves are hardly
new to the scene either. They were just stupid enough to make a product
and sell it.

The real threat is torrent services that make RSS/HTTP feeds available
to intelligent client applications that filter the content and
automatically download it based on the user's profile/preferences:

http://btjunkie.org/browse?c=4&o=72

And of course there are the decentralized video streaming services
waiting in the wings when anonymizers like ToR and others finally get
their bandwidth and act together. Ofcourse the clever way to shut these
down as we have already seen is to accuse them of trafficking child
pornography and instantly your volunteer nodes disconnect so as not to
be implicated should anything come to pass. Quite brilliant.

If I were a television studio I would embrace these 'new points of
distribution', change my ad revenue model, collect distribution
statistics, and bill my advertisers accordingly. Now wouldn't that be an
interesting turn of events :).

Cheers
Kon