[opendtv] Re: Forbes: ESPN Tries To Have It Both Ways

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 22:28:31 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Let me break this down into simple concepts you can understand.
>
> For now , they cannot offer a stand alone Internet ESPN service
> - it does not make economic sense, and it would destroy the
> current business model.
>
> People will expect to access the content in these bundles with
> all of their devices;

Only people who are loyal subjects of an MVPD, Craig. Once again, the younger
demographic is not wedded to their MVPD content repository as you are, get it?
It is that demographic that ESPN, and of course the others too, are having to
obsess over. The way you make it sound, these content owners are totally
clueless and mired in the past. And no, the "second screen" isn't the only
phenomenon going on here. The change is in the "first screen" as well.

> One more time: the wall is around the content. The technology
> that delivers the bits is changing...

You seem to miss the important points. The limitations of the broadcast
protocol WAS the issue decades ago, because broadcast protocols necessary then
*depended* on a walled garden network architecture. Or at least, it certainly
*promoted* a walled garden model.

With the advent of two-way IP networks, the congloms that understand technology
can get beyond this "business model" you seem to be stuck on, and see other
business models that will potentially give them more revenues. You seem to not
get that moving to IP and remaining mired in the walled garden model won't fly

Why? Simple! Because you can't force the subscriber to put up with that! They
already aren't!