[opendtv] Re: Forbes: ESPN Tries To Have It Both Ways

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:30:05 -0500

> On Mar 4, 2014, at 8:23 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Says who, just Craig?

No.

Two very powerful oligopolies for the foreseeable future.

Nobody is saying this will never change. But there is no market dynamic at work
that is changing this reality. Sure we want to be free of monopolistic pricing,
but to date nobody has figured out how to tear down the walls.

And now these oligopolies are enhancing the value of "the bundle" by extending
their subscriber's access to this content via the Internet, even as they deny
access to this content by would be competitors.

> The article specifically mentioned moving ESPN content *outside* of walled
> gardens. For a price? Sure. But outside the walled garden.

NO Bert they have not moved this content outside the walled garden, they have
added a new way to access it via the Internet. And yes, there is a price:

A subscription to the walled garden content, now delivered to all of your
screens.

> Here is the (repeated) quote:
>
> "For now, those numbers can't justify offering a stand-alone streaming
> service
> and angering the cable and satellite guys. But at some point in the future,
> ESPN knows those number are going to flip as more people watch streaming than
> live TV."
>
> What do they mean by "angering the cable and satellite guys," Craig? I guess
> you should try arguing with Forbes too, then.

This is a blog published by Forbes - i.e. a personal opinion piece. As I stated
when I first read this piece the author does not know what a great deal about
what she is taking about. lots of speculation and the occasional nod to
reality, as with this quote.

She is correct the numbers do not add up for ESPN to make their content
available outside the walled garden. These oligopolies are making billions by
collecting subscriber fees from 85% of U.S. homes. You can bet your ass that
anyone who breaks rank is going to make the others angry. Fortunately - FOR
THEM - none of them are that stupid.