[opendtv] Re: Forbes: ESPN Tries To Have It Both Ways

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 01:23:45 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But ESPN is NOT letting their very expensive content out of the walled
> gardens;

Says who, just Craig? Is this the same Craig who was sure that flat panel HDTVs
would never become a commodity item? Or further back, that HDTV was only of
interest to a niche audience? Or that digital built-in receivers would add
hundreds of dollars to the price of a TV set?

We've been over so many of these stubborn positions, Craig, that one wonders
how you don't see these trends. The article specifically mentioned moving ESPN
content *outside* of walled gardens. For a price? Sure. But outside the walled
garden. Their own portal. Here is the (repeated) quote:

"For now, those numbers can't justify offering a stand-alone streaming service
and angering the cable and satellite guys. But at some point in the future,
ESPN knows those number are going to flip as more people watch streaming than
live TV."

What do they mean by "angering the cable and satellite guys," Craig? I guess
you should try arguing with Forbes too, then.