[opendtv] Re: Digital Terrestrial TV households expected to surge

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:31:09 -0400

Where in Euro is OTA DTV not popular? Looks to me that any country
that has tried it with free ad supported services has done well. Only
specific business plans for subscription services have failed.

USDTV is back in business and admits that 8-VSB is the biggest
challenge they face. Hoping that 5th or 6th gen receivers might allow
they to market to other cities. MPEG4 is crucial as well. No talk of
A-VSB though.

Not much hope in my opinion. If anything is going to use the current
OTA spectrum, 2-51, successfully over the first ten years after
transition it will have to have mobility and MPEG4.

Otherwise it will just lanquish in pretend land and must carry. A-VSB
will require MPEG4 to make its bit cost more tenable. How will that
play with the "spirit" of compatibility?

We still have to change to a better modulation and codec IMO.

Bob Miller

On 10/25/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't think they are paying enough attention to details in each
country. Even in Europe, some countries do much better than others wrt
DTT or OTA TV use.

Someone ought to ask them specifically about their forecasts for DTT in
the US, and in Euro countries where OTA TV is not popular.

Bert

-----------------------------------
http://www.digitaltvdesignline.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=1934
01735

October 24, 2006

Digital Terrestrial TV households expected to surge enabling Pay-DTT
opportunities, says IMS Research

Austin, TX -- Current forecasts from IMS Research predict that the
worldwide digital terrestrial TV (DTT) market will grow signficantly
over the next five years, from an estimated 37 million households in
2006, to a forecast 131 million households by the end of 2011.

Primarily driven by DTT uptake in Western European countries, the
Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region has experienced the most
success in DTT adoption, and is expected to comprise nearly 62% of
worldwide DTT households by 2011.

According to analyst Mark Meza of IMS Research, "The success of DTT in
Europe is due in large part to government and industry initiatives, a
growing selection of content, and increasingly affordable set-top boxes.
This success has created an opportunity for value-added paid DTT
services, such as Top Up TV in the UK. Paid DTT services have a distinct
advantage in markets where a free DTT service has been successful."

Meza continues, "Standalone pay DTT services face greater challenges in
establishing subscribers, often due to limited content offerings and
pricing that is not competitive with other pay TV options. An example of
this is the difficulty faced by USDTV, which recently filed for Chapter
7 bankruptcy after securing only about 10,000 subscribers in 3 years of
operation, as well as early launches of pay-DTT in the UK." With the
continued growth expected for DTT worldwide over the next five years,
IMS Research predicts an accompanying rise in value-added pay-DTT
offerings.

About IMS Research

IMS Research is a leading provider of market research, business
intelligence and consulting services, primarily to the electronics
industry. Our services span a diverse range of sectors including
semiconductors, wireless, consumer, automotive, medical, power & energy,
security, mechatronics and automation. Founded in the 1980s, IMS
Research has established itself as a reliable and trusted source of
market intelligence. Today we have 40 analysts spread across three
locations: Austin/Texas, USA, London, UK, and Shanghai, China, enabling
us to provide clients with comprehensive and detailed research on
today's global markets. Our customer list encompasses most of the
household names in the electronics industry, including all top 10
semiconductor companies.

For further information, please contact: www.imsresearch.com.