[opendtv] Re: Digital Terrestrial TV households expected to surge

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:18:19 -0400

Germany, 82 million population, 38 million households, 5 million
receivers sold equals 13% of households freely purchased in three plus
years with sales accelerating as more of the country comes on line.
Not too shabby and bordering on 'popular' in my book.

Netherlands has only pay services as you say and AFAIK. There are
160,000 customers and it will only go national by the end of this
year. Analog turnoff is also happening by end of year.

Have to wait on this one. Again a pay service seems to have the
hardest fight against other larger incumbent pay services like cable
and satellite. Free OTA kicks ass right away it seems.

Your two worst cases are not doing bad now and will both be highly
successful IMO.

Bob Miller

On 10/25/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> Where in Euro is OTA DTV not popular?

Not popular in Benelux countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg), not
popular in Germany either. I mean, overall, as a fraction of households
with TV.

One factor is how many TV frequency bands a country has. If they don't
have many, then OTA TV loses out, and DTT consequently won't be so
popular either.

In the Netherlands, apparently, DTT is only a pay TV option. Right,
Donald? So I don't expect it will be so popular there, even if they have
an adequate supply of spectrum for OTA TV.