[opendtv] Re: DTV TRANSITION:

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:25:53 -0500

My first reply got bounced, so let's try again.

My Comcast expanded basic service currently has 61 analog and 34 ClearQAM
services.  The ClearQAMs include all of the OTA broadcaster's ATSC services
(in HD if available from the broadcaster,) as well as digital duplicates of
analog PEG services. I'm not a subscriber to digital cable or HD cable, so I
can't say how many total channels there are with those services, and am too
lazy to look it up.  Our PBS station has all four of our multiplex channels
on this ClearQAM tier, as part of the nationwide carriage agreement struck
between PBS (or was it APTS?) and the NCTA.

I have been told that the cable companies want to move people into ClearQAM
and away from analog for expanded basic, then offer encrypted QAM for
additional pay tiers and PPV.  In order to achieve this goal, all
subscribers must have some sort of ClearQAM tuner, either built into their
television sets, or in the form of a STB.  I still don't think that all
subscribers will agree to having to rent a digital STB from the cable
company for the three or four sets in their home that they have come
accustomed to having expanded basic on, with the built-in cable NTSC tuner
in the TV.  Therefore, some sort of cheap ClearQAM STB will be required
eventually.

It seems to me that these CECB manufacturers are ready and able to fill this
market niche, at the same price they currently charge for CECB only boxes,
and it would take minimal retooling of their product.  Indeed, perhaps as
simple as a software change.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

But they won't necessarily meet with any success, UNLESS the cable
companies agree.