[opendtv] Re: DTV Audio

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:22:37 -0700

I agree with Bert that the audio quality in the transmission is a good
thing.  I hope my email didn't sound like a complaint!  It was merely an
observation.

But the improved quality does mean that the production spaces will need
better sound equipment.  I am always surprised when I go to a TV station
and see the audio person mixing to a pair of Yamaha speakers!  Even my
old, purchased-used-and-repaired Polk speakers with my early model,
non-digital Dolby, Technics receiver sounds better than those speakers.  I
don't even have a subwoofer and I get tons of low frequency rumble,
plosives, etc. from the locals.

I often hear clipping, like Cliff, from the locals.

I stop by some of the local stations once in a while and sit in on
newscasts.  I am amazed at the lack of training that the operators get (at
some stations).  Seems that the most expensive person on the crew is the
Chyron operator.  But they'll put anyone on audio.

I remember asking the audio operator at one of the stations to explain why
certain settings were such on the audio console.  The person answered that
they didn't know what any of the knobs were for, just that they were
"pre-set".  They only operated the mute on-off buttons.  Even the faders
were "pre-set".

But other stations here in town are much more professional.

In all honesty, as we teach our students how to use equipment, the audio
console seems to be the most elusive to them.  Creating good audio is
difficult.  Perhaps we (everyone) are just less forgiving in the aural
environment.

Dan

Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/08/2008 03:22 PM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[opendtv] Re: DTV Audio

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Dan Grimes wrote:

So just like HD cameras created problems because of the detail,
so, too, the enhanced audio transmission is requiring a new
level of quality in the production chain.

These are "good" problems to have, Dan. Problems resulting from better
quality, rather than problem resulting from worse quality. You can
always dumb down the high quality system some.

I much prefer the audio from ATSC than the MTS from analog, both fed to
a separate audio system cum subwoof.

The problems with live audio show up much worse in local HD.  The CH 6
news staff all
sound distorted and clipped without any headroom in the signal, like the
VU meter
[if they even have such a beast anymore] is being slammed into the end
stop.
Can they even hear this? Is anybody in engineering even listening?