[opendtv] Re: DTV Audio

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 19:10:26 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I do not use any digital radio but had heard they more have to
> suppress the sound when anything is wrong with a digital audio stream
> because of the possibility of loud pops and possibly even speaker damage.

Makes sense. Corrupt the stream to create a maxed out volume, and you could
have a problem. I expect the same would also apply to DTV, though, why wouldn't
it?

I've actually heard some rather rude sounding burps on rare occasions, on my
Sangean IBOC tuner. Very rarely. My guess is that just like in the video, they
would first try to mask the error, by interpolating between successive samples,
rather than immdeiately suppress the audio? Ibiquity uses a form of compression
that is supposed to based on HE-AAC, but not compatible.