[opendtv] Re: DTV Audio

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:26:20 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Short of rewriting the ATSC standard and obsolescing all existing
> receivers and encoders, what can be done? A short term disturbance
> will nail some data stream packets. If it happens to be a null
> packet, or a program guide packet, or some other "non-essential"
> packet such as a B frame packet, you may never notice. But if you
> nail an audio packet beyond the FEC's ability to recover it, there
> will be a hole in the audio.

Always a good excuse to call for a rewrite of the ATSC standard, I suppose, eh?
ATSC does audio the same as any other DTT standard, over MPEG-2 TS, so if this
is a problem with ATSC, it would have been noticed everywhere. Oh, and even
over the Internet, audio and video are handled the same basic way, as far as
that goes.

It is statistically hard to swallow, I think, that the audio packets are being
nailed every time, and not the video ones. If audio packets are corrupted so
often that you can hear glitches, you would expect the video packets to be hit
just about as often.

> I know that some receiver/decoders are better at masking dropped
> audio packets than others. Perhaps it is you receiver manufacturer
> you should be looking to for a cure?

That's one possibility. Al, does this happen from all your channels, or just
from one of the broadcasters? My first reaction was that it was the station
glitching.