[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design (was Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:33:50 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

> I agree, "demand" is much to strong.
>
> The remainder of your posting is self evident. No one
> believes that reception will be ubiquitous but it could be
> made better with very little effort. The FCC mandated this
> system using certain performance expectations,  which
> should be met as part of the "deal".

FWIW, I agree with you and Frank on all these points. It's just that I
find the evolving status quo to be typical of the CE industry when new
stuff is introduced, so it doesn't seem to be a reason for continuing to
pretend that DTT is nowhere is sight.

In fact, as Ken recently reported, and as I have experienced, even with
the 3rd gen receivers I have, ATSC coverage is already better than NTSC
in some respects. E.g., I regularly use Baltimore UHF stations now, for
recording, that I essentially never did with UHF NTSC. Much lower power,
yet much better reception. So I agree that coverage might not be
identical in all respects, but that doesn't mean it's always worse.

Besides which, NTSC also never reached the pinnacle of its reception
potential. Whatever happened to those active ghost-cancelling processors
from about 20 years ago? I read about them in the IEEE Transactions, a
few comments here and there, an obscure product announcement or two,
then dead silence. And yet, we all muddled through with NTSC regardless.

Also, I trust that A/74 will continue to be modified and extended, just
as A/53 has been, and just as the IETF keeps doing with its RFCs. These
are all living documents, as far as I'm concerned. And even if it isn't
a minimum performance requirement, as I would have preferred, as long as
it has de-facto filled that role for new equipment, I'm happy.