[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design (was Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:56:38 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

> My facile conclusion is that had 8VSB worked from the
> get-go, nearly as well as did COFDM, this discussion
> wouldn't be happening. However, it didn't but had we
> chosen COFDM in the beginning, we would be a long way
> down the road to a successful transition, ala the UK.

This is going around the same circle, but I don't even buy that,
entirely. The reason being, as Craig points out, it was never in the
broadcasters' interests to make the OTA scheme particularly successful,
over here. So for instance, COFDM receivers with cheap tuners would have
been imported, the system would work so-so, and the vast majority of
viewers would remain safely subscribed to cable or DBS.

(Ideas of mobile markets etc. are still very much pie in the sky, as far
as I can tell, and that's all over the world. Mostly marketing hype that
should be understood to be just that.)

> The lack of interest shown for OTA by the CE community
> and certain networks, did not coalesce until they
> realized what a turkey this system was and this had little
> to do with our current receiver front end issues, which
> are unrelated to modulation.

I agree with this. The problem I continue to have is that the evidence
that these early problems were solvable came more than 5 years ago. At
some point, I would expect people to "get over it," and start being
proactive.

If those with influence didn't understand that evidence, 5+ years ago,
where does the problem lie?