[opendtv] Re: Coupon expiration

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:12:29 -0400

Don Moore wrote:

> That's not going to solve things for the viewer.  If they want
> NASCAR, they WANT NASCAR.
>
> One of the biggest issues with OTA is that they are losing
> what was once their bread and butter content.  It has been
> small nicks and cuts over time.... A big slash with Monday
> Night Football (from ABC to ESPN).  But as cable channel can
> generate the bigger audiences and dollars - more of what was
> free will migrate to the pay services.

It seems to me that the lack of enthusiasm mentioned by the Reno
community meeting:

"Missing from all the ads -- which several general managers acknowledged
the public is already growing tired of watching, is the sheer excitement
of DTV, from the remarkable quality of the picture and sound, to the
multi casting of programming.  'Do it now and you will get more
channels!'  This message needs to be incorporated in future ads."

is due to what you wrote above. Any excitement would only be experienced
by OTA users, who represent is a small minority of households, and is
especially not felt by the broadcasters themselves. Hard to come up with
excitement in PSAs when all you worry about is how to get your content
onto MVPD systems.

Any excitement is going to have to be generated by the viewership.