[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on the Fox vs Cablevision dispute

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:05:57 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Bert. You posted the article. Did you read it?
>
> Not only did Fox withold its signal from Cablevision MVPD subscribers, but
> they also blocked Cablevision Internet subscribers from accessing Fox
> programming on Fox.com and Hulu.cm.

So? They are still providing their content, free, both over the Internet and
over the air, just like I said. They are witholding it from the Cablevision
walled garden.

> And it's not just Fox. The following story covers the Fox Cablevision
> dispute AND the fact that ABC, CBS and NBC are blocking access to their
> content via the internet, for new Google TV devices.

Again, they are blocking their content from other people's walled gardens. They
are still providing it, on their own terms, both FOTA and FOTI. So again I ask
you, why do you blame the content owner alone?

Like I said, Craig, if the content owners want to use the Internet to
distribute what THEY own, they have zero reason to want to introduce anyone
else in that process, except for the ISPs. Which ISPs, so far, have kept
themselves relatively neutral when it comes to their IP broadband pipes.

And consumers should absolutely boycott specially designed TV sets that only
further the aims of unnecessary middlemen.

> As you can see from the story above, the Congloms are doing EXACTLY what
> you object to. And that is what I tried to point out in my previous post.

No, Craig, they are not. What I object to would be if the congloms created
their own web sites that could only be accessed via their own, non-standard
boxes and protocols. If the congloms are making their content available over
their respective web sites, via standard IP, I see that as being analogous to
how they distribute their content OTA. Each have their own set of broadcast
towers around the country, however every TV set can receive all of the OTA
signals from all of the broadcasters. Similarly, each have their own web sites,
and I can reach any of them via a standard PC (or, in the future, IP connected
TV).

> Fox has properties "across the dial" on MVPD platforms.

And they can provide those over the Internet, as they please, for free or for
pay. Big deal.

It seems you have a tough time with the concept of "unwalled."