[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on the Fox vs Cablevision dispute

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:29:54 -0400

BUT, the fact that ABC, CBS, and NBC might be blocking their content from Google (and therefore from Google TVs) is another matter entirely. That is certainly
 their right.

 Who is the middleman here Bert?

Google, and the CE manufacturer that forces the consumer to use Google (or a handful of other sites). The two have colluded, to make Google a mandatory middleman. Or so I have to believe.

Bert

Ever hear the old saying: Engage brain before opening mouth?

Apparently, despite the fact that I have tried to educate you to the fact that Google and Sony are not acting as middlemen, "you believe" that they are.

You might want to look at the following site to learn exactly what Google TV IS.

http://www.google.com/tv/

Or perhaps you would prefer a third party explanation:

http://gizmodo.com/5543822/what-is-google-tv

It's a software platform...
You know how the Nexus One is a piece of hardware by HTC that runs Android, a piece of software by Google? That's how Google TV will work. At its heart, Google TV is a platform. It's software. Hardware makers will need to step up to use it in their devices.

The only difference between Google TV and Internet Explorer is that it is web browser software that has been optimized to work with a TV and other products that may be connected to the TV, or used to control it.

According to the web sites cited above, you can use Goggle TV to access ANY website. It is not limited to accessing a few sites like Apple TV, nor does it require that video content be accessed via Google or Sony servers.

 > Is Microsoft the middleman when you use Internet Explorer to access Hulu?

I can use any browser to access Hulu. No one is forcing me to use just one brand of browser. No one is preventing my browser from accessing sites other than Hulu. So no, your example is completely irrelevant.

Google TV is a browser Bert. It is not the Google Chrome browser, it is browser software that is optimized for accessing the Internet via a TV rather than a PC. Goggle does have recommended hardware specifications to use this software, just as there are "hardware requirements" to run Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

ABC, CBS and NBC are blocking access to their content on Hulu for TVs using the Google TV browser.

What I have been saying is absolutely relevant. And you are completely wrong.

 What collusion is happening with Google TV?

When TV manufacturers only allow access to a handful of sites, e.g. to GoogleTV, that is definitely collusion. It's saying to the buying public, "You can watch TV over the Internet, but we (the CE company) have agreed behind closed doors that we will limit your access only to certain sites, with which we have made certain undefined, under the table agreements, that you don't need to know about. And you are given no options to select any other sites." Sounds like collusion to me.

There is no Google TV website. Look at the URL above. it is google.com/TV and what you will find there is information about the Google TV platform...not TV content.

 Is Google or Sony blocking access to any websites?

If Sony TVs only allows access to online TV through certain sites, then yes, Sony is limiting access. The Sony Vaio STB did NOT do this, but it seems that the new Internet connected TVs are. Our LG BluRay player, for example, certainly does limit what sites you can go to. One of them is NetFlix. I forget the other three or four. But literally, it's only that many sites. Can I go to www.tf1.fr with that box? No. Why not? And I can't change that (well, maybe with some fancy hacking).

Clearly there are products for use with a TV that do not provide unfettered Internet Access. Apple TV is one example. Roku is another:

http://www.roku.com/roku-products?gclid=CKWa64To7KQCFaFa7AodUApRRg

It is worth noting that the Roku boxes will provide access to Hulu Plus when the service becomes available in the coming months. So it appears that the folks who own Hulu have no problem allowing you to use a device like the Roku box if you pay a subscription fee ala Netflix; but they won't let the same box access the ad supported Hulu service.

Who;s the gatekeeper here Bert?

> But what is Google doing that is any different than accessing Hulu via a PC based
 web browser?

Must be doing something with the CE companies, if the these CE companies agree to allow access to Internet TV only through Google and a couple of others. Mostly, it's the CE manufacturers' approach that I dislike intensely (since I don't know what the few sacred web sites are doing to achieve that status), and I cannot blame the content owners for rejecting this distribution model.

Would you feel better if the CE manufacturers built a PC into their TVs and used Internet Explorer to access Hulu?

Your arguments ring rather hollow.

Next thing you'll be telling us is that RIM should not be using the Internet to access the servers that provide services to their smartphones.

 This Bert is the kind of stuff that happens when businesses run to the
 politicians for protection and market advantage.

Politicians are doing this? I doubt it very much, Craig. Politicians may have created the OTA TV national cap and local caps, but so far, they have not done any such thing for the Internet. Therefore, what I see is that the congloms are objecting strenuously to the idea that TV manufacturers are trying to control access to the congloms' content by making agreements behind the backs of the congloms. And I cannot blame the congloms at all. I would do the same thing, most likely.

How bizarre. You have it exactly backwards. It is the congloms that are requiring Apple, Google, Sony, Roku, et al to enter into agreements to access their content. It is the congloms that are blocking access to their sites for certain devices.

If your beer were under heavy demand, and whatever distributor you are using now was doing things you didn't like, I'm sure you would have a say in that. Either set the distributor straight, or use some other distributor.

More proof that you are not paying attention. Once I sign a contract with a beer distributor in the State of Florida I lose control. I am at their mercy.

I can try to work with the distributor to further our mutual goals, but I cannot fire them and hire another distributor. The sad fact is that many beer distributors are entering into contracts with craft beer brands then sitting on them and doing nothing. The ONLY recourse we have is to refuse to ship product to them and look to other markets where we can establish distribution, or do as Bells did and stop selling our product and create another brand.

If you feel vulnerable to the whims of your distributor now, it is only because you are a microbrewery. But CBS, NBC, and ABC are hardly micro-anything. They do not have to feel vulnerable to any handful of web sites. They have their own web sites, and/or they can pick and choose who to do business with. Why? Because consumers get in an uproar if middlemen can't deliver the conglom content.

Consumers are in an uproar because the congloms use their content as a weapon to reach deeper into our pockets. They are in an uproar because that are forced to pay for content they do not want or watch. And they are upset that the congloms seek to extend this anti-competitive business model through the Internet.

 Funny how there is all kinds of noise about "network" neutrality, when it
comes to the business that is providing Internet Access, BUT, it is perfectly
 OK for a television network to block access to its content to specific ISPs
 and devices...

Net neutrality SO FAR has been addressed only to the ISP. But what's the point of making the pipe "neutral" if you're going to turn around and allow device manufacturers (special interests) to limit your access to that scrupulously "neutral" pipe? For some reason, you have missed that part of the equation.

I have not missed a thing.

The device manufacturers are limited in the content they can offer. There is no "neutrality" with respect to the deals for their content. They can charge one device manufacturer/store one price, negotiate another price for a different device manufacturer, and block others. If you doubt this, this is exactly what has happened with music sales via the Internet, and it is now happening with TV content as well.

Furthermore, any device that offers only limited access to content streamed via an IP connection states this up front as part of the business/product proposition. You yourself stated above that you purchased an LG BluRay player that allows access to Netflix and a few other sites. Apparently you brain is saying one thing and you mouth is saying another.

Consumers are free to evaluate the value propositions of any device and the services that they can access. And believe it or not, some people may not want to extend the PC experience to their TVs.

You are very critical of Apple and the ecosystem they have developed around their growing range of devices. Apparently this does not bother some people, as Apple will soon become the worlds most valuable public company. Its all about the value proposition and the end user experience.