[opendtv] Re: Chromecast - Teardown and philosophy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:29:54 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If this is true, and I doubt that it is, it is ONLY because some
> content providers were choosing to block certain devices.

It is your opinion that "certain devices" are deliberately blocked by content
providers. While this is true some of the time, in most cases, content
providers simply won't bother with special requirements imposed by some. So
these "certain devices" should wise up.

>> And too, as articles have been saying, people DON'T seem to want to
>> use the "second screen" to control the "first screen." ... Seems
>> like people like to have other stuff on their "second screen," if
>> they are watching TV at the same time.
>
> Please provide some proof of this contention.

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/21/forget-second-screen-apps-today-the-tv-is-the-second-screen/

Quoting from the bottom of this very recent article:

"But finally, and that may be the most important point: Get out of the way. It
doesn't make sense to reinvent Twitter and Facebook for the second screen, or
any screen for that matter, because people are just fine using Twitter and
Facebook, and only more so while watching TV. The best new apps will be the
ones that provide additional utility without trying to monopolize a screen that
TV viewers already use for something else."

> You are conveniently ignoring an important reality Bert. The
> traditional CE providers have had access to the same technologies
> as the new CE oriented computing industry companies.

How am I ignoring this? I'm merely working around it, while wondering why I
should need to. I find it truly astonishing that one keeps reading how people
increasingly want to watch their TV online, and yet the ever clueless trade
scribes can't tell them how. How many times have we seen articles where
watching online TV is described as being difficult, where the best the trade
scribe can offer is to suggest one of these crippled boxes, or where some new
scheme that does nothing remarkable is touted as being the solution?