[opendtv] Re: Chromecast - Teardown and philosophy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 22:26:48 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As an aside, I wonder how many people actually use the program guide
> feature of the ATSC broadcast standard?

When I had a box that actually could use the guide, it took forever to download
it and the TV stations never seemed to include anything that wasn't same-day
programming. Pretty useless for a PVR, eh?

My current TVs I don't think can even use the guide, although they do show what
program is on now, and how far along in the scheduled time. This is very useful
and I use it a lot (wrt my OTA TV usage, that is). With all the movie channels
on now, as you channel surf, you can quickly determine what you're watching and
whether to keep watching.

The newer of the two sets, also LG, even has a synopsis of the show that's
airing. Very nice, actually. I think broadcasters did themselves a disservice
by NOT populating this information better, early on in DTV days. Nothing makes
a feature disappear faster than when it's ignored during its introduction.

> But you did not address the question: Why are the traditional CE
> vendors so clueless about all of this?

In the past, I have answered that more than once. Since the solution seems
rather simple, I have to conclude that they are on the take. They are being
paid off by the MVPDs to NOT design sets that would facilitate cord cutting. I
can't conceive of any other reason.

Honestly, when even a Best Buy salesman feels compelled to apologize for these
crippled devices, you have to wonder, no?

> But that is not happening. The traditional CE vendors have no interest
> in sending Microsoft or Apple a check for the OS, nor do they want you
> to use a TV for traditional computing tasks. And the computer industry
> vendors have little interest in getting into the commodity TV market -
> they want to provide a more compelling user experience,

The "traditional CE vendors" wouldn't need to send Microsoft or Apple a fat
check, although those would certainly be good choices. These days, they could
implement Android or other solutions too. Use Raspberry Pi, for instance. Get
creative. Anything that can run an IP stack, codecs, and web browser. They
could hire their own enthusiastic geeks and create their own solutions. With
all the talk of unemployment among young techie grads, I just can't understand
this mental block.

As to using the TV "for traditional computing tasks," although for the life of
me I can't understand why a CE vendor would not be happy for that to happen,
it's not necessarily the easiest thing to do. For some things, like WebEx
sessions, TVs are great. For other things, like writing documents or software,
not so convenient.