[opendtv] Re: Chairman Copps to Silicon Valley

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:23:17 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>>
>> Without getting too political, I believe it has a great deal to do with
>> a loss in credibility and confidence that the traditional media are
>> actually reporting the news. Too often it seems these days that the
>> media is in the business of "making the news..."
>
> The media are 'solely' in the business of selling commercials and
> promoting their network programs. ABC's O&Os constantly promote 'Dancing
> with the Stars' and, when it was on, 'Lost' on their news shows.

All of the above may be true, however these points don't dispute Chairman
Copps' argument. I have a much more fundamental problem with Chairman Copps'
views.

Which is, Chairman Copps is talking as if the consolidation of the traditional
news media is being caused by some unreasonable level of greed on their part.
As if, here are the big bad news media trying to take away a divine mandate
they have, to give the poor huddling masses the news. The poor masses must have
this news for a democracy to function, the big bad media are denying these
huddling masses their right, so they must be taken to account. And the
government will see to it, to save the poor huddling masses.

Well, nonsense. For whatever reasons, it's people who have stopped watching,
and the media need to react to that. Because they can't pay their salaries.
Somehow, this new activist FCC needs to get a grip on reality. Government can't
fix that problem.