[opendtv] Re: Carriage of various extra types of data in digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 17:45:54 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Digital TV was spec'd out with the ability to have multiple
> sub-channels plus various extra non-AV types of data in each
> stream. Is there any consensus about what types will usually be
> carried on cable or satellite?

This is a good question.

> I'm guessing that multi-must-carry will not come about and that
> any type of PSIP or caption data probably WILL be carried, no
> matter what's in it. Anyone disagree? What about other types of
> data that can be embedded in the primary program stream?
> Anybody know the current FCC stance? Or even current common
> practice?

The FCC, as far as I've read, has always left this wide open to the
creativity of broadcasters.

But I'm puzzled by something. Are you saying that there is a difference
between how OTA broadcasters today might be transmitting "ancillary
data," or other non-TV-program-related material, and how cable and DBS
might be doing this on MVPD-only programming? Because honestly, leaving
all hype aside, I don't see any difference at all, with the exception of
a more useful EPG.

And I think the latter is caused more by the proprietary design of MVPD
STBs than anything intrinsic in the medium. EPGs for OTA service are as
good as each individual receiver designer is creative (for the most
part). The non-walled-garden nature of the medium, IMO, is a virtue.

> This could pretty much set the standard of what actually gets
> used since broadcasters these days seem to mostly care about
> cable carriage and may not invest practically anything for
> antenna-only material.

This is the part I don't get. What is it that broadcasters don't do in
their OTA channel that they do in their cable or DBS stream? Or again,
what ancillary functions do cable-only channels offer that OTA channels
don't have?

It seems to me that when/if some killer ancillary application is
invented, it would get transmitted over whatever medium makes most sense
for it, or maybe all media in the same way, if that makes sense. If that
killer app is designed for mobile/portable platforms, the OTA medium
would have an advantage, seems to me.

There have been years and years of hype about interactive TV and about
non-TV programming on TV channels. My feeling is that as Internet
connections and PC penetration in households around the world increases,
you will see that the TV distribution medium and the interactivity
medium will become more LOOSELY combined, as they are already here. Not
more tightly combined, e.g. MHEG. And the same applies to non-TV
material over TV channels. There will be a decreased interest in that,
if the interactive broadband Internet link is present in most homes. As
it is here in the US.