[opendtv] Re: CEA Survey: 10% Of Pay-TV Households Plan To Cut Cord In 2011

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 01:54:36 -0400

A sense of scale...

5 years ago I invested about $300 in three antennas, Lo VHF, Hi VHF, and UHF. I bought a Channel Master D to A converter with S-video out for about $70. The TOTAL COST for all the stuff to get 50-60 or more digital channels FOR FREE from three different markets is about $500.

That paid for itself in less than a year if you figure a cable or satellite hookup is $50 to $60 a month, EVERY MONTH FOR A LONG LONG TIME. I'm very happy with all the FREE over the air reception and glad I never have to deal with any customer service twits reading from a script.

Cliff

On 6/7/2011 4:48 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

For me the decision is quite simple.

Is the cost of an antenna (and a new TV with an ATSC tuner) worth the
investment in terms of the content I will receive.

For me the answer is NO.

As expected, to me it's entirely the opposite.

Is having to deal with the walled garden, including unnecessary proprietary
hardware imposed on me whether I want it or not, worth buckling under and
playing dead? Just because they have 150 channels of nothing to watch? No.

If they change their way of operating, I might reconsider. Until they do, I see
no need to comply.