[opendtv] Re: CEA Survey: 10% Of Pay-TV Households Plan To Cut Cord In 2011

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 17:53:06 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/469022-CEA_Survey_10_Of_Pay_TV_Households_Plan_To_Cut_Cord_In_2011.php

In the article, this quote:

"National Association of Broadcasters spokesman Dennis Wharton said, 'CEA has
zero credibility when it comes to calculating over-the-air TV viewership.
Knowledge Networks has stated that over-the-air exclusive homes are more than
14% and rising. We trust an unbiased research firm over a survey paid for by
CEA.'"

I totally agree on the "no credibility" part. It's really a mystery to me why
the CEA has been so against OTA TV, even to the point of being so disingenuous
about the cost of built-in receivers, years ago. No credibility.

http://www.cesweb.org/shared_files/ECD-TOC/CEACordCuttingAnalysis.pdf

First of all, what the report actually shows is that OTA reception in at least
one set is still around 14 percent or so, as of 2010. It does show a slow
decline from 2009 to 2010, nothing dramatic, and less of a decline than there
was from 2008 to 2009. If cord cutting does continue, it wouldn't be a bit
surprising to see that slow decline turn around, I don't think.

Oh, and by the way, how come no one trumpeted the gains in OTA that the report
shows, from 2006 to 2008? (How surprising.)

The 9 percent figure is households that ONLY depend on OTA for TV. That means
that households which use Internet distribution as well are not counted in that
dramatic-sounding 9 percent figure the CEA threw out there. Problem is, the
congloms prefer OTA to Internet, so OTA is still an important component. (Did
they count OTA PVR use in there with OTA use?)

The real story in Figure 2 is that cable is down quite steeply, considerably
more steeply than OTA, DBS is up slightly, and the only steep rise at all is
telco. Easy to understand, given they just started service. They are still down
to about 10 percent of households, though. And the curve is a little less steep
in the 2009 to 2010 period than it was during the first year.

The other telling chart, to put a lie to all the hype, is that 93 percent of
video content is still consumed on the TV set, and only 13 percent on
smartphones. And another overly-hyped video source, files purchased online,
account for only 12 percent.

We should see reports like this more often, because they do debunk the hype we
are fed as "facts."