[opendtv] Re: Antenna farm

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:29:30 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Having 2 antenna directions about 90 degrees apart is the biggest
> limitation of reception HDTV where I am now. I don't mind
> fiddling with indoor antenna directions once if there exists some
> set & forget combination that works. I guess it's worth a shot.

Yeah, definitely setting and forgetting is worth the small effort. It
didn't take long to set it up. I basically used two extreme stations in
setting it up: Balt Fox45 is the one from Balt with least margin, and
furthest to the East, and the indie station here is the one furthest to
the West, and also had low margin.

> But please let us know if you decide to stay with that particular
> combiner since I'm wondering it would be better to have a combiner
> and low power antenna amp in my attic, which I finally now know
> how to access at my current rental.

In principle, a diplexer would be better. But then again, if a combiner
like the one I have works well enough, its advantage is that no matter
what new stations appear, or even (dream on) gap fillers, there's no
retuning to worry about.

Also, late last night we got some strong winds. I noticed then that the
two stations with the smallest margin, Balt Ch 45 and 54, both started
breaking up. Balt Ch 13 was still solid. Then today, the winds had died
down, and both 45 and 54 were solid again.

Considering that my receive antenna height can't be much more than 3'
HAAT, is indoors, we live in a valley, and we certainly don't have LOS
to any tower, I'd say that's decent reception.

Today I also tested many analog stations, to see why the 3rd gen box did
so well. It turns out, all the ghost energy I get is lagging echo,
meaning that even 3rd gen receivers, which typically can handle >40 usec
of lagging echo, should do okay. One of the local VHF stations, ABC 7,
also looks remarkably good in analog now. Stronger than before, and not
too much ghost anymore. Gives me hope for when ABC 7 goes back to VHF.
The other station going back to VHF is not as nice in analog.