[opendtv] Re: Antenna farm

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 04:52:50 -0500

Bert -

That's interesting news and I think I may order one of those combiners.

Having 2 antenna directions about 90 degrees apart is the biggest limitation of reception HDTV where I am now. I don't mind fiddling with indoor antenna directions once if there exists some set & forget combination that works. I guess it's worth a shot.

But please let us know if you decide to stay with that particular combiner since I'm wondering it would be better to have a combiner and low power antenna amp in my attic, which I finally now know how to access at my current rental.

I'm likely now to not do anything else until after Feb 17, so await further reports.

- Tom

Albert Manfredi wrote:
I'll be trying out the Accurian 3rd gen STB to see
how that compares with its previous performance
with the indoor antenna.
Wow. This was even more impressive. Previously, with the antenna in the fireplace, the Accurian could only receive solid maybe half of the stations that the LG and Philips could receive. Instead now, all of the local stations come in solid, as does one of the Balt stations (WJZ-DT, which is at 1 MW UHF). Two more Baltimore stations come in, but not solidly. I had not expected a big improvement from a 3rd gen box, since I expected the two antennas to increase ghost energy too. But instead, dramatic improvement. The local stations are between 12 and 20 miles distant, as the crow flies, and Baltimore is 46.6 miles away. Bert