[opendtv] Antenna farm

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:44:38 -0500

So, I assembled the second DB4 antenna

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html

and connected it to the first one I already had, via a Winegard 75 ohm combiner

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=CC7870

This combiner turned out to be a splitter/combiner, which made me somewhat
skeptical. However, ...

I put both of the DB4s toward the back of the fireplace, where the one had been
before, aimed somewhat less than 90 degrees apart. One facing more or less NE,
the other NW.

Just as I had hoped, the result seems to be, so far, a very solid reception of
some of the Baltimore stations, as opposed to occasional breakups I got
previously, especially on Fox45. Also, solid reception of the indie station to
the W of us, where previously that too got an occasional hit. Since I did this
during the day, when reception problems with Baltimore were most noticeable, it
promises well.

This improved reception seems identical for the LG TV and the Philips/Funai
PVR. I'll be trying out the Accurian 3rd gen STB to see how that compares with
its previous performance with the indoor antenna.

And a nice additional improvement was somewhat better HD Radio reception, which
I use this antenna for as well. Two of the local stations previously had
trouble remaining locked into the digital sidebands, and now (so far) they are
both very solid, as are all the rest of the local stations.