[opendtv] Re: Aereo startup tries to thwart additional lawsuits

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 10:20:25 -0400

On May 7, 2013, at 5:12 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> This Aereo controversy, to me anyway, always seems like it's not correctly
> reported. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Aereo is doing from the
> outside what TV networks and station groups could be doing from the inside. I
> THINK the OTA broadcasters are really saying:
>
> "If we aren't allowed to stream our affiliated network's content live, then
> why should Aereo get away with it?"

The local broadcasters are not the ones raising the stink. IT is the networks
who are threatening to abandon Free OTA TV if Aereo is not shut down. We can
argue whether what Aereo is an antenna service or a subscription service. The
cable industry started by pulling signals off air and delivering them to people
who could not receive these signals reliably - Aereo appears to do exactly
that: we provide the antennas and stream the channel you tune to.

What the networks want is to be paid by Aereo for allowing the viewer to use a
remote antenna.

This is not much different that using a Slingbox, except that this device sits
in your home and streams content connected to your TV.

Personally, I think Aereo is just an excuse to grease the skids for the end of
Free OTA TV.