[opendtv] Re: Aereo startup tries to thwart additional lawsuits

  • From: Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 05:07:10 -0400

Broadcasters are arguing that the Free OTA model doesn't work anymore if
their customers can actually receive their broadcast OTA. They are arguing
that they have to be paid for their OTA signal. Isn't it just that simple?
Aereo simple provides an antenna at a remote location where the signal can
be received and charges for the use of that antenna. If broadcasters were
using a modulation that worked in cities Aereo could not exist.

You can argue that it is just semantics but it is not and I think the
courts will continue to uphold it.

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <
albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
> > We can argue whether what Aereo is an antenna service or a
> > subscription service. The cable industry started by pulling
> > signals off air and delivering them to people who could not
> > receive these signals reliably - Aereo appears to do exactly
> > that: we provide the antennas and stream the channel you tune
> > to.
>
> Yes, philosophically, I agree it's identical to the original CATV schemes,
> using IP as its delivery protocol.
>
> > What the networks want is to be paid by Aereo for allowing the
> > viewer to use a remote antenna.
>
> I suppose the networks and even the local broadcasters, can be *somewhat*
> justified for wanting compensation like they get from a cableco or DBS. But
> only if they are obtuse.
>
> What the networks and the broadcasters should be wondering is, why don't
> we do what Aereo is doing, and take the wind out of their sails (sales? I'm
> so clever I scare myself sometimes). Other countries have already done
> this, even while they retain their OTA delivery method.
>
> > Personally, I think Aereo is just an excuse to grease the skids
> > for the end of Free OTA TV.
>
> Not sure I understand who is using this excuse. I will certainly agree
> that IF the networks and/or broadcasters respond as I suggested they
> should, by playing Aereo's own game of their own accord, then delivery of
> FOTA TV via VHF and UHF RF bands would become redundant. Whether it should
> end outright, I'm not sure. There are those who would find the IP route too
> complicated. And never mind it's nice to have that system that isn't
> dependent on a ton of middlemen and middleboxes.
>
> Bert

Bob Miller
954-551-1217
3111 N. Ocean Dr. Apt 1607