[opendtv] Re: Aereo startup tries to thwart additional lawsuits

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 22:36:50 +0000

Gary Blievernicht wrote:

> Are the countries where modulation works, using ATSC/8VSB ?

It works in the US, so yes.

But my point was, in countries where OTA TV is REALLY used, the norm is hardly
a coat hanger in a high rise building. The norm is, instead, building antenna
systems, or individual roof-mounted antennas for each apartment.

Let me put it this way. When we switched over to digital-only in the US, I had
only trouble initially with one of the two VHF stations. That problem "resolved
itself." In a matter of weeks, the missing VHF channel became better and
better, and finally solid. (I initially had to use two metal cookie sheets as
VHF reflector, to get any signal.)

When my sister and mom switched over to DVB-T, in Rome, each of them had to
call out the "antennista," to re-aim and otherwise mess with their TV antennas
(on the roof of each building).

> Can you receive 8VSB with a coat-hanger in an apartment building,

They cannot, in Rome. However Mark Schubin managed that in a 4th floor
apartment in NYC, with a prototype STB, back in ca. 2003. I'm sure he will
correct me if I'm wrong. Point being, with the right receiver design, it's
doable.

Also, I CERTAINLY can't see any transmit antennas, and yet my TV antennas are
at ground level, in a fireplace. I now get 49 station streams, in the DC market
area. So yeah, 8T-VSB works. The only actual problem is that in countries where
people use OTA, they have professionals who make it work. In the US, people
expect OTA reception to be totally trivial, or they leap over to become
shackled to an MVPD. That's the real story.