[opendtv] Re: A view from the UK

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:45:37 +0100

Thanks John,

Yes, I can be a bit more open now, but there are still NDAs and no-go areas
that I must abide by for the time being.

The cost-savings that the Beeb makes by shooting in HD are all to do with
top-end production. At the high end, the Beeb needs co-production money to
complete projects. Imagine a multi-part natural history project, say 8
1-hour episodes taking 3 years to shoot. Left to it's own devices, it would
be made on super16 and Digibeta. But to get co-production money from the US
and Japan, the shoot has to be 35mm and/or HD. So the cost-saving is in
reducing from 35mm not from super16/digi. These days, without the
co-producers' cash, the project simply couldn't happen, too expensive even
in SD, so something has to give. Blue Planet was the watershed, it showed
that well-shot SD and good film can be reversioned at HD and make
presentable HD, but native HD would have been better.

Current costings from the unit I've worked closely with for the past 18
months shows that drama costs are between 2% and 25% less in HD than
super16; NH costs are similar, because of the different shooting ratios and
the fact that many of the freelance DoPs already have film kit that won't be
earning while they're working in HD. So cost reduction for NH isn't really
significant, but the quality improvement is marked, and the co-production
money is easier to confirm.

These equations are never precise, they change as the daily rate for kit
changes, and as suppliers decide that they want to create a niche (e.g. VMI
in the UK now rents Sony HDW750 for the same price as Digibeta, they want
the trade). But, in general, HD-shooting attracts the co-production money
that reduces the makers' costs relative to SD or s16 shooting.

More on this if you want it.