[opendtv] Re: A view from the UK

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:13:51 +0200

Hello,

I was delighted to see this posting by Alan Roberts:
> I've been monitoring this list for some time (years) but have not yet
posted
> because I didn't want my affiliation to mar discussions. I've just
retired
> from 36 years working for the BBC in R&D, much of it in developing DTV
and
> HDTV.

A very warm welcome to you, Sir Alan !  ;-)

We've often had discussions off-line about what we had read in
OpenDTV, but he has always refrained from posting any messages.
I hope that from now on we may enjoy some brilliant contributions
from you, dear Alan.

I have only recently returned to OpenDTV, because due to a glitch
at Topica I stopped receiving messages and I was thrown off the
web access too. I have enjoyed the break, hehe. I hope that this
message will make it to the list, after such long time.

FWIW, I too can now receive BBC in digital quality, through DVB-S
reception from Astra 2. The bird is aimed at the UK, but it also
illuminates all of NL and B, and a part of France. The signal is
no longer encrypted. No complaints about the quality from me.

I still intend to prove that I can receive Astra 2 with a regular
Triax TDS88 dish with the extra LNB at 12 degrees off-centre.
They want to sell you an expensive multi-focus dish for receiving
two or more positions, but I think that that is not necessary.
(I am interested in Hotbird @ 13deg, Astra1 @ 19deg, Astra2 @ 28deg,
but in my 2nd dish the monoblock is centred and fixed at 16deg.)

Professionally I am doing rather interesting things about signal
processing for LCD TV. As always near the back-end = the display.

Best regards,
-- Jeroen.
|------------------------------+-----------------------------------------|
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen  | E-mail:   Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx    |
| Building: SFJ-6.22 Eindhoven | Philips Digital Systems Laboratories    |
| Phone:    ++31.40.27.32739   | P.O. Box 80002,  (Street: Glaslaan 2)   |
| Fax:      ++31.40.27.32572   | NL 5600 JB Eindhoven, the Netherlands   |
| Pager:    ++31.6.6513.3818   | Visit us: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/  |