[opendtv] Re: A view from the UK

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:16:11 -0700

Alan;

Congratulations on your retirement from the Beeb, and I look forward to your
contributions to OpenDTV.

In an email exchange we had off list several months ago, you mentioned that
the BBC was saving production costs by acquiring in HDTV.

I subsequently learned from other list members that you had been lurking on
the list for some time, and that you certainly know of what you speak.

Most people seem to think that HDTV increases production costs, and those
people distribute in HDTV, unlike the BBC (for the present time.)

Would you now be able to talk on list about this?  Where are the savings?
Are they current, or projected?