[opendtv] Re: 20040830 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:53:38 +0200

I have to concur. Even KNOWING that there is a speed increase, it is not
possible to detect it, unless perhaps you are a "golden-heared" or
"golden-eyed" person. I usually watch the DVDs of the films i have seen
in the theaters when they are out a few months later (i rather prefer to
have that delay), and i have never been aware of any difference.

On the other hand, i have one 60 Hz Region 0 DVD, and the motion
artifacts are really annoying at times. After watching it, i decided i
would not have my player dezoned, after all (that was some years ago),
as i didn't want to build a collection based on such material.

Never noticed lip-synch problems either, except maybe in one or two
instances of an identified technical incident (and i believe that was
before digital). Of course, dubbed movies would tend to blur the
problem. But we also consume a sizeable amount of local content, and it
shows no obvious defect.

Alan Roberts wrote

Yes, that's exactly true. It's what we've all been doing since films were
first shown on tv. It's normal for us, we're happy with it.