[opendtv] Re: 20040830 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:47:27 +1200

Regarding the "HDTVs" offered here in NZ, this is no surprise. Many
statements say "1080 compatible" or "HD ready". Yes we do not get HD
broadcast here, unlike across the "pond" in Australia. That's a shame.

It is even more annoying that practically all sales people do not
appreciate what HD or SD is, or even what makes a good display versus a
bad one. They also insist on showing very expensive plasma screens on
demonstration using poor quality satellite programming. How is anybody
supposed to see the quality benefit of a plasma or LCD screen versus a
lesser standard rear projection set of similar size, when the viewed
material makes it impossible to see any difference.

The problem here, and I feel it may apply elsewhere, is that the
customers requirement is predominantly for a "large screen" more so than
a quality picture, because they do not know what constitutes a "good"
picture. Invariably, sales staff will oversaturate the colour on
demonstrations.

Whilst in NZ Mark, did you see any of the dreaded 50Hz flicker syndrome?

Barry Wilkins =20