[opendtv] Re: 20040830 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:01:07 -0400

I can also atest to obnoxiousness of 3:2 pull-down. Upon returning to North
America after many years abroad, I found the 3:2 pulldown very obvious and
annoying. However after six-months, I no longer noticed it!

A reverse incident: my parents returned to the UK after many years in North
America. Upon arriving in the UK in the early eighties, they bought a 27" Sony
(large then by UK standards) set. I recall my mother wanting to return it
because of the flicker. After a few months, the annoyance went away and she has
been content since! (My parents now have a huge 16X9 CRT display).

The last anecdote: Years ago, I worked with an engineer in the BBC nearing
retirement, who had spent most of his career working on 405 systems. Out of
curiosity, I tested his hearing and found he could not hear 10,125 Hz (the 405
horizontal scan frequency). He could hear above 10,125 and below 10,125 but not
10,125!

Regards,

Terry Harvey