[opendtv] Re: 1080P Question

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 00:17:40 -0400

Albert Manfredi wrote:
> So, would 1080p60 be adequate as a digital cinema standard? I keep seeing
> references to much higher pixel counts for digital cinema, like 4000 X 2000,
> but would 1080p60 be sufficient?
>
> I paid attention during movies, and determined that the viewing angle is
> greater than it is at home, watching my 42" 768p set from my normal seating
> position. So that suggests 768p60 might not be enough. Given that Mark
> Schubin is shooting 1080i or 1080p24 and getting away with it quite well in
> movie theaters, anything wrong with 1080p60 as a capture format for cinema?
>
> Bert

Just my own opinion but I think it would be just fine as a capture
format, even for digital theater.  But when sitting less than  3 screen
heights away it may still be possible to see jaggies/pixels and thus
would have some advantage to upscaling that 1080p to maybe twice that at
display time.   But that is just the general rule that it may be better
to have the display format with maybe twice the pixels of the
transmission format.

- Tom