[opendtv] Re: 1080P Question

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:24:21 -0400

Kilroy Hughes wrote:

-- quote --
PS. IMO, Devices that "deinterlace" 24P to output 60P should be recycled ASAP.
Forcing the display to guess whether the real sample rate was 42ms or 16 ms and
interpolate whatever mixed frames that came from the STB deinterlacer for 120Hz
update (vs. just starting with a clean 24P signal) is very bad system design,
and one reason display interpolation often looks bad.

---

I have written commercial code to do this, not counting the in-between
frames.   On broadcast TV it may have to deal with source material
switching back and forth from interlaced to telecined fairly rapidly,
not even counting during commercial breaks.   It can still be done more
or less reliably except for a couple frames at the transitions.

I wonder how fast an LCD multisync TV could change sync rates?   It
might make for some interesting visual effects.  The various code I've
worked on was still outputting frames (or progressive duplicates) at 60
Hz.   I've never really considered the problem of delaying the
presentation time to 24 Hz. multiples after identifying telecined
material.  Doing it accurately at 120 Hz still has many of the same
problems if you really want judder free smooth motion.  But do-able.

Though I'm still in favor of giving all TV's the processing power to fix
all the legacy conveniences and sins of the broadcast industry.
Processing power is getting pretty cheap these days.

- Tom