[opendtv] Re: 1080P Question

  • From: ShLampen <shlampen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 19:26:03 -0700

Friends-

I once saw 60-frame film.  It was part of a ride at the Luxor in Las Vegas
designed by Doug Trumbull (of 2001: Space Odyssey fame).  It was SPECTACULAR.
They mixed live actors with actors on film (from a distance of course) and you
couldn't tell which was which until something happened (like disappearing)
which gave the film actors away.

I spent a whole week at InfoComm with a generic Sharp1080p/60 display and
generic BluRay player watching Planet Earth (1080p/60 DVD).  It too was
spectacular, especially since we were running it through 100 ft. of unamplified
HDMI cable ("impossible" said most attendees) so we ran the cable around our
sign so you could follow every foot.

Steve Lampen
Belden

In a message dated 09/01/09 09:24:05 Pacific Daylight Time,
TVMark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Albert Manfredi wrote:
> I paid attention during movies, and determined that the viewing angle is
> greater than it is at home, watching my 42" 768p set from my normal seating
> position. So that suggests 768p60 might not be enough. Given that Mark
> Schubin is shooting 1080i or 1080p24 and getting away with it quite well in
> movie theaters, anything wrong with 1080p60 as a capture format for cinema?

I'd like more detail spatially (we are in discussion about doing an 8K
experiment), and I wouldn't mind more temporally, either.  The 300-fps
EBU/BBC demos are spectacular.

Back in 1930, TV "got away" with 30 scanning lines.

TTFN,
Mark